Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Raisins

If you remember me mentioning my curious lack of pregnancy appetite back in my August French Yogurt Cake post, well this is my update on that state of affairs.




Since I hit my 3rd trimester (10 weeks or so to go, y'all!!!) I have been HUNGRY. Still not as hungry as I expected based on how our culture talks about pregnancy and hunger, but hungry nonetheless. My biggest pregnancy cravings: cookies and sandwiches. Since I don't really want to reveal (read: admit) how much mayonnaise I put on my sandwiches, I've omitted them from my blog. But the cookies, well, you can probably already tell that's where I've been "at", so to speak.

These are a adapted from the Quaker Oats Vanishing Oatmeal Cookie recipe located in the inner lid of every canister of their oats. They are delicious, buttery, chewy and rich in cinnamon warmth and goodness. Perfect for the cool, brisk weather and sublime with cold milk.

Feel free to swap-in dried cranberries for the raisins and/or to omit the chocolate or try using butterscotch or white chocolate instead. Yum!

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Raisins
Adapted from the Quaker Oats Vanishing Oatmeal Cookie recipe
Yield: About 2 dozen cookies if using two heaping tablespoons of dough per cookie
1/2 cup plus 6 Tablespoons salted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon table salt
3 cups oats
1 cup raisins or other dried fruit (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips or finely chopped chocolate (I used bittersweet but you can use any kind you like/have on hand or omit it)

Preheat your oven to 350. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the softened butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until fluffy. 

Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and add them to the batter, mixing briefly to combine. 

Add the oats, raisins and chocolate chips and stir with a spoon or spatula to combine. 




Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or do my roll-up-in-advance-method. Cool the cookies on the pan for a few minutes then move them to a rack to finish cooling. They are really great warm. 

If you plan to roll these up in advance and bake them off as desired, flatten them a bit before freezing as they won't spread much during baking.